Monday, December 16, 2013

Black Ibis

Yup, no cheesy title today. Just the name of the bird in today's picture - black ibis. Birds have really cool names!

I really like photographing birds but the bird population here has declined - that's probably because of the rapid rise in the number of new houses and buildings in this area.

It's sad but true. One afternoon I just happened to look out the window and imagine my surprise when I spotted these magnificent birds in the field. I didn't expect to ever see them again because they had been driven away by some people who apparently thought they were bad for this area. I have no idea how people get such weird ideas into their heads but somehow they do and the wildlife in this area has to suffer.

Reminds me of the time when a giant vulture landed on our roof. The entire village gathered outside our house and told us to kill it or drive it away because it was a bad bird that would kill us and whose feces was so toxic that it would literally burn though anything. I tried to stop them but I was just a little child and no one listens to children so I had to run and get my parents. They finally went away but some other boys came back with slingshots and started shooting at the bird. Before we could stop them the bird flew away and we never saw it again.

The reason I wrote that is because something similar happened to these beautiful black ibis. Some weirdo decided that these birds don't belong here and so every morning whenever they would alight on the fields some men (and women) would try and shoot them with slingshots and even set dogs on them.

I'm glad I got to see these birds again because I haven't seen them since.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips