Friday, April 19, 2013

Twirls of Smoke

A while back I decided to experiment with photographing smoke. I had just seen some pictures online and I didn't know how to go about it. I didn't have a external flash or some other source of light so I decided to use the built-in flash from an old camera as the "external flash".

I tried various angles and was finally successful in getting in right. I have a few tips for you if you are planning to photograph smoke but before we go into that here is a picture from that shoot.

Remember this is NOT a tutorial. These are a few basic tips. I may work on a tutorial when I am able to purchase an external flash.
1. The external flash should be at a 90 degree angle to your camera.
2. Use a black background.
3. Your shutter speed doesn't really matter when you are using a flash. I use a shutter speed of 5 seconds to capture the above image so if you are looking for proof, this is it.

That's it. It's very easy but super cool.

I must go now as my battery is about to die.

Take care and have a great weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips