Saturday, March 30, 2013

Six Days You Shall Labour

Today's post is like a "Part 2" in that it is like a continuation of yesterday's post.

I got today's title from Exodus 20:9 which says, "Six days you shall labor and do all your work."
I found this to be apt for these tea garden workers because they work really really hard six days a week. They get only one day a week off which is usually Saturday.

I do fell sorry for them because they are not really paid well. As I mentioned yesterday some are paid a little over a dollar per day and others depending on how much they can pluck. Even if they are able to pluck a lot the rate per kilogram is still low.

I've had a few interactions with these people and they are really cheerful and even though they have large families they try and send each on of their children to school. Unfortunately some drop out of school and work as child labourers.

Remember who I said yesterday that I didn't want to anger their supervisor? Well turns out he is a really talkative man. He saw me taking pictures and started walking towards me. His eyes never left me. He stopped me as I was leaving and asked me why I was taking pictures. When I said it was a hobby he didn't say much else but then went on to ask me about 50 questions about various schools in the city. He took away more than 15 minutes of my time. Thankfully I made the best of the awkward silence that soon followed and took off on my bicycle :D

Anyway here is another picture of a lady plucking tea leaves. Notice the large heavy sac-type bag on her back. This is where she collects the plucked leaves.

I'm sure you are totally bored by now so I'll leave it at that.
Have a great day folks and enjoy the last day of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips